Monday 18 June 2012

Wouldn't it be nice...if cleaning did itself.

A rather silly and obvious statement I know but I have spent the last few hours tidying and cleaning. I then decided to sit down for a few minutes and well, here I am!

The reason for my need to clean and organise is a move home from University. This was not just any move but THE move from Uni...the end of my life as a student. Unfortunately that meant I had to move everything home and my room at Uni was (surprisingly) substantially bigger than my room here. So three years worth of stuff is having to be majorly cut down otherwise I'll be living like one of those 'hoarders' you see in programmes where they can't even get into the room let alone inhabit it.

It really is amazing how much stuff, most of it pointless, you find in drawers and cupboards and behind furniture when you really start to look. And believe me I have a lot of stuff. I will admit that I am one of those sentimental types who tends to hold onto stupid things because of the meaning behind it. This has come to back to bite me though. After 20 years of being sentimental I have suddenly had to start being brutal. In a classic girl move I do have a memory box that has the most important things in that really do have sentimental value that I cannot part with, but I have been focused today and really have managed to sort out a huge chunk of the stuff. There is also a nice pile growing of stuff to give to charity. I always try and do this because I always think that just because I don't want something anymore doesn't mean someone else won't it, and if my useless old stuff can make money for a charity then that's fantastic in my opinion. I've said stuff rather too much. Stuff.

There is something hugely satisfying about having a massive clear out/clean (even if I do now stink of cleaning products) and in some senses it's thoroughly enjoyable. Only in some senses though. In most it's boring and an unfortunate fact of life. I'm trying to be positive though as my next task is my wardrobe. I am really bad at getting rid of clothes (again I always give to charity) and I seem to hoard the most when it comes to clothes. I desperately need to do it though as I am having trouble getting things in and out of one section of my wardrobe as I've hung so much you can't move anything. That's a true sign you need a clear out. I better get on then. Apologies that this is a rather boring blog post but packing, moving, unpacking, clearing and tidying is all I have been doing for the past 3 days so it's become rather all consuming!

Bye for now :)
xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment