Wednesday 4 July 2012

Wouldn't it be nice...if we all read more.

 This post is once more part of Sprinkle of Glitter's 'Love Of The Day' series, as Wednesday is books:

(The lovely Louise also known as Sprinkle of Glitter: Image from her blog http://sprinkleofglitter.blogspot.co.uk)
Now I have read a lot over the past three years studying for a degree in English & American Literature and Drama, some books I loved ('Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley is a truly fantastic novel) and some I'm glad I'll never have to pick up again (I read 'Ulysses' twice...once was enough. I'm not even going to link it on here!)  But once I finished my degree in May I went on holiday for two weeks to Egypt with my boyfriend and I had a wonderful realisation that I could read whatever I wanted too! So I chose to read, amongst many other books, 'The Hunger Games Trilogy'. I had all three downloaded onto my Kindle and I devoured them, reading all three in 2 days.

The books are a fantastic read regardless of age and I really enjoyed the whole story. For anyone that doesn't know the books are set in a post-apocalyptic North America where two children from each District, each area of the country, are chosen and forced to compete in a fight to the death. The books follow Katniss the female tribute from District 12 through her struggles. I know a lot of people had read them already by the time I even got to them, I read them once the movie had come out, so I was a little behind with the times but I couldn't start them whilst I was studying as I knew I wouldn't be able to stop reading once I'd started! Even my boyfriend, who doesn't particularly enjoy reading, loved the books; if you knew him you would know that this is accolade for these novels! We are now, not so patiently, waiting for the DVD of the first book/film to be released because by the time we returned from holiday we had missed the film in cinemas.

If you haven't read these books I would really recommend picking them up from somewhere or downloading them as they are a fantastic, action packed, easy read for all ages.

Bye for now :)
xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment